Tim Kaine is stepping down as chairman of the Democratic National Committee to run for the Senate in Virginia, setting the stage for what could be the hottest and most pivotal Senate race of 2012. Virginia is a key presidential swing state, and the seat Kaine's seeking is currently held by a retiring Democrat, freshman Sen. Jim Webb. Kaine could give President Obama a boost if the former governor lures enough Democratic voters to the polls and beats former Republican Sen. George Allen. Can Kaine keep his state in the Democrats' column? (Watch a Tim Kaine campaign ad.)
Kaine is an instant contender: The common wisdom is that if any Democrat can keep Virginia blue in 2012, it's Kaine, says Jennifer Epstein at Politico. He and Obama will bolster each other, which is why the president "privately urged Kaine to take the plunge." Republicans will try to depict Kaine as Obama's "lapdog," but he can deflect the charges by focusing on his work as governor, not at the DNC.
"Tim Kaine announces he'll run for Senate
No, this is a gift to the GOP: With Kaine's legacy of "higher taxes" and "mismanagement," his candidacy is great news for conservatives, according to the Republican Party of Virginia. At the DNC, he was the No. 1 "cheerleader" for Obama's reckless spending, including health care reform and the economic stimulus package. Moderate Virginia voters won't forget his liberal record.
"Tim Kaine: By the numbers"
Forget the Right's rhetoric. This race is Kaine's to lose: "Don't be fooled by the bravado you may hear from Republicans," says Lee Hockstader at The Washington Post. Kaine is "quick-witted" and well-liked, "a formidable and energetic campaigner who’s never lost a bid for public office." The popular former governor became "the race's favorite" the moment he declared his candidacy.
"Tim Kaine, the man to beat in the 2012 Virginia Senate race"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week