een pregnancy pays... at least if you're Bristol Palin. According to tax documents, the unwed mother and eldest daughter of Sarah Palin raked in more than $262,500 last year working to promote teen abstinence for The Candie's Foundation. Meanwhile, the same foundation distributed only $35,000 in grants to health and counseling clinics for pregnant teens. Is Bristol's big payday bigger than it should have been?
Yes, this is outrageous opportunism: It seems Bristol has "learned a great deal from her mother," namely "how to milk her celebrity status for all it's worth," says E.D. Kain in Forbes. By my calculations, for every dollar that Bristol's promotional efforts funnelled into deserving causes, she earned $7.50 for herself. I know the non-profit industry has its issues, but I'm surprised to see some "so blatantly abuse their position at a supposed charity."
"Non-profit pays Bristol Palin $262,500, donates only $35,000 to charity"
No, this is par for the course: "Before you cry foul over Palin's paycheck," consider that other celeb spokespeople for Candie's Foundation include Hillary Duff, Fergie, and Ciara, and "it's doubtful that any of them are doing it for less than a quarter mil," says Megan Angelo at Business Insider. Besides, if you're outraged over what Sarah's daughter pulled in last year, just wait till you see her tax returns for 2010 and 2011, when she appeared on "Dancing with the Stars" and signed a deal to write her memoir, respectively. "You might as well get used to the age of Bristol."
"Bristol Palin is making more money than you talking about teen pregnancy"
Well, at least give her credit for being industrious: "Setting aside the debate about her ability to... actually make a difference in the lives of others, she certainly struck while the timing was right," says Ryan Hamilton Jr. at Gather. While it's perhaps shocking that Bristol made so much money, it's also "quite impressive" that she'll be able to provide a nice life for her young son. "This just goes to show that there are definitely opportunities out there for people who don't finish high school."
"Bristol Palin salary huge for teen pregnancy work"
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Idina Menzel-Taye Diggs split, and five other break-ups that hurt us more than it hurt them
- The Black Death is back
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- How John Boehner learned to stop worrying and hate the Tea Party
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- Watch Fox News' Megyn Kelly claim Santa, like Jesus, is a white guy
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
Subscribe to the Week