Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: The start of baseball season has brought the usual flood of books on the glories of the national pastime. Please give us the name of a book that might focus on some obscure aspect of the sport.
THE WINNER: The Art of Spitting: From Cobb to Francona
John Ryan, Havervill, MA
SECOND PLACE: The Evolving Mound: Not Just a Pile of Dirt
Robbie Heyman, Sante Fe, N.M.
THIRD PLACE: Keeping Home Plate Clean—An Umpire's Story
Bill Harriot, Fort Washington, MD
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week