Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: The start of baseball season has brought the usual flood of books on the glories of the national pastime. Please give us the name of a book that might focus on some obscure aspect of the sport.
THE WINNER: The Art of Spitting: From Cobb to Francona
John Ryan, Havervill, MA
SECOND PLACE: The Evolving Mound: Not Just a Pile of Dirt
Robbie Heyman, Sante Fe, N.M.
THIRD PLACE: Keeping Home Plate Clean—An Umpire's Story
Bill Harriot, Fort Washington, MD
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week