Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: The start of baseball season has brought the usual flood of books on the glories of the national pastime. Please give us the name of a book that might focus on some obscure aspect of the sport.
THE WINNER: The Art of Spitting: From Cobb to Francona
John Ryan, Havervill, MA
SECOND PLACE: The Evolving Mound: Not Just a Pile of Dirt
Robbie Heyman, Sante Fe, N.M.
THIRD PLACE: Keeping Home Plate Clean—An Umpire's Story
Bill Harriot, Fort Washington, MD
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week