Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: The start of baseball season has brought the usual flood of books on the glories of the national pastime. Please give us the name of a book that might focus on some obscure aspect of the sport.
THE WINNER: The Art of Spitting: From Cobb to Francona
John Ryan, Havervill, MA
SECOND PLACE: The Evolving Mound: Not Just a Pile of Dirt
Robbie Heyman, Sante Fe, N.M.
THIRD PLACE: Keeping Home Plate Clean—An Umpire's Story
Bill Harriot, Fort Washington, MD
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
Subscribe to the Week