Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: The start of baseball season has brought the usual flood of books on the glories of the national pastime. Please give us the name of a book that might focus on some obscure aspect of the sport.
THE WINNER: The Art of Spitting: From Cobb to Francona
John Ryan, Havervill, MA
SECOND PLACE: The Evolving Mound: Not Just a Pile of Dirt
Robbie Heyman, Sante Fe, N.M.
THIRD PLACE: Keeping Home Plate Clean—An Umpire's Story
Bill Harriot, Fort Washington, MD
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
Subscribe to the Week