elcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: To help folks save money for retirement, scientists are developing avatars that show current-day wage earners what they’ll look like — and need — when they are old. We asked you what advice those elderly avatars should give their younger selves.
THE WINNER: An "I Love Justin Bieber" tattoo will not age well
Elizabeth Gaines Johnston, Granada Hills, CA
SECOND PLACE: For beachfront property, buy land in West Virginia
Ashley Ryan, Catonsville, MD
THIRD PLACE: Stop talking to Avatars and go learn some actual social skills
Stacey Kaiserman, Phoenix, AZ
Turn down the volume NOW!
Gary Cullen, North Canton, OH
You know that retirement thing? Yeah, well, basically forget it.
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
It will take serious money to hire teens to help you use your 32G BIHCS (bio-implant-holographic-comm system)
John Besnard, Irvine, CA
Two words: pre-nup
Alex Smulian, New York City
Tattoos on your boobs will stretch. Plan accordingly.
Carol Blacet, Chico, CA
Get in those ski trips while you still can
Alex Goldklang, Evanston, IL
Go outside and play!
Dena Cornett, Mill Valley, CA
It's the 401K, stupid
Ken Allen, Napa, CA
Learn to speak Mandarin and buy jade
Geoff Barger, Cambridge, MD
Remember: You are now living your Good Old Days
Tom R. Kovach, Nevis, MN
Don't do what I did!
Jack Wanger, Monroe Township, NJ
I remember every time you hurt yourself. Every morning. All at once.
Phillip George Corrigan, New Braunfels, TX
Listen to your elders
Chris Eberhart, Okemos, MI
Frederick Lorber, Stockton, CA
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- The case for killing law school
Subscribe to the Week