he image: Max, a 3-year-old black and white cat who had been missing for two days, recently returned to his northern California home — with a 12-inch arrow through his head, luckily missing his brain. "It went in one side of the cat's head, went through the ear and then out the top," says a Santa Cruz County Animal Services manager, as quoted by Reuters. (Watch a report about Max below.) Max underwent arrow-removal surgery, and is recuperating with his owner, Brad Paquin, who says his pet will be an inside cat from now on, according to the San Jose Mercury News. And this isn't even the first time something like this has happened — a similar incident occurred in Indiana two years ago.
The reaction: "Me-OWW!" says Amelia Glynn at the San Francisco Chronicle. It's really a miracle Max survived this seemingly painful injury. Indeed, if cats do have nine lives, "Max definitely just lost one," says the Daily Mail. Watch a report about this courageous cat:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
Subscribe to the Week