The image: Max, a 3-year-old black and white cat who had been missing for two days, recently returned to his northern California home — with a 12-inch arrow through his head, luckily missing his brain. "It went in one side of the cat's head, went through the ear and then out the top," says a Santa Cruz County Animal Services manager, as quoted by Reuters. (Watch a report about Max below.) Max underwent arrow-removal surgery, and is recuperating with his owner, Brad Paquin, who says his pet will be an inside cat from now on, according to the San Jose Mercury News. And this isn't even the first time something like this has happened — a similar incident occurred in Indiana two years ago.
The reaction: "Me-OWW!" says Amelia Glynn at the San Francisco Chronicle. It's really a miracle Max survived this seemingly painful injury. Indeed, if cats do have nine lives, "Max definitely just lost one," says the Daily Mail. Watch a report about this courageous cat:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
Subscribe to the Week