he image: Max, a 3-year-old black and white cat who had been missing for two days, recently returned to his northern California home — with a 12-inch arrow through his head, luckily missing his brain. "It went in one side of the cat's head, went through the ear and then out the top," says a Santa Cruz County Animal Services manager, as quoted by Reuters. (Watch a report about Max below.) Max underwent arrow-removal surgery, and is recuperating with his owner, Brad Paquin, who says his pet will be an inside cat from now on, according to the San Jose Mercury News. And this isn't even the first time something like this has happened — a similar incident occurred in Indiana two years ago.
The reaction: "Me-OWW!" says Amelia Glynn at the San Francisco Chronicle. It's really a miracle Max survived this seemingly painful injury. Indeed, if cats do have nine lives, "Max definitely just lost one," says the Daily Mail. Watch a report about this courageous cat:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week