Whatever happened to Nancy Pelosi, asks Dana Milbank at The Washington Post. Little more than a year ago, she was marching across the Capitol, oversize gavel in hand, to vote on the health care bill that she helped bring to the House floor. This month, the president and House Speaker John Boehner completely "cut her out of talks aimed at averting a government shutdown." Her vote against the budget compromise on Thursday was a "stark indication of just how far Obama has moved from the former House speaker." It's to his discredit, says Milbank. The president seems to have forgotten how to negotiate since he dumped Pelosi from his circle, and he's "rudderless" as a result. Here's an excerpt:
The former House speaker ... largely defined [Obama's] first two years in office. Then, she was his rudder, and she kept his presidency on a reliably liberal course. Virtually every important piece of legislation — the stimulus, the health care bill, financial regulations — was negotiated at the conference table in her second-floor office in the Capitol. ...
Obama, without Pelosi charting his leftward course, has drifted to where he appears to feel most comfortable: in the middle, splitting differences... But at what cost? Pelosi loyalists say that, ideology aside, Obama simply isn’t getting as much from negotiations as he should, because his bottom line is fuzzy.
Read the entire piece at The Washington Post.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week