The image: A Republican Party official and Tea Party activist in southern California faced scathing criticism this weekend for distributing a doctored photo showing President Obama's face superimposed onto a chimpanzee. (See the chimp's family portrait below.) The "racist hate-email" accompanying the photo reads "Now you know why — No birth certificate!" County GOP Chairman Scott Baugh said the email was "in very poor taste" and called for the resignation of the official behind it — Marilyn Davenport, an elected member of the Orange County Republican central committee, who called the controversy "much ado about nothing." "I'm sorry if my email offended anyone," she's conceded in a written statement. "I simply found it amusing regarding the character of Obama and all the questions surrounding his origin of birth."
The reaction: This ugly email is so "heinous," says Frances Martel at Mediaite, that Davenport needs to step down, now. It's time for all Republicans, everywhere, to stop attacking the nation's first black president with "unacceptable racism disguised as 'jokes.'" The Left's reaction is overblown, says Left Coast Rebel. Mainstream GOPers have denounced Davenport, but liberals are using a ridiculous email from one "idiot" to discredit the entire Right — exploiting their trusty "race card" to deflect attention from the horrible job Obama is doing. That might hold water if this were an isolated incident, says David Neiwart at Crooks and Liars, but "little stories like this one" keep bubbling up to the surface" of the "fetid little Tea Party cesspool." Take a look at the photo:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
Subscribe to the Week