In 2009, NASA launched the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer, or WISE, on a mission to capture images of the entire sky with an infrared telescope. In the 14 month since its launch, WISE has captured 2.5 million images, and made a host of new discoveries, including 33,000 new asteroids and 20 comets. NASA has just released some of WISE's amazing shots to the public. Here, nine "spectacular," out-of-this-world images.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
Subscribe to the Week