In 2009, NASA launched the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer, or WISE, on a mission to capture images of the entire sky with an infrared telescope. In the 14 month since its launch, WISE has captured 2.5 million images, and made a host of new discoveries, including 33,000 new asteroids and 20 comets. NASA has just released some of WISE's amazing shots to the public. Here, nine "spectacular," out-of-this-world images.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week