In 2009, NASA launched the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer, or WISE, on a mission to capture images of the entire sky with an infrared telescope. In the 14 month since its launch, WISE has captured 2.5 million images, and made a host of new discoveries, including 33,000 new asteroids and 20 comets. NASA has just released some of WISE's amazing shots to the public. Here, nine "spectacular," out-of-this-world images.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week