he video: Over the past four years, Paris Hilton has done time in jail for driving with a suspended license, been arrested for cocaine possession, checked into rehab, and been accused of making racist remarks. How does she juggle it all? An upcoming Oxygen series, The World According to Paris, aims to find out. (See a clip below.) The series debuts June 1. It will feature Hilton "as she moves through her professional and personal life," according to the Los Angeles Times — a similar premise to Keeping up With the Kardashians, which has become the preeminent brand in socialite reality television. On Hilton's first reality show, The Simple Life, she was merely a character. "Now people will see my real world," she says. But does anyone want to?
The reaction: "When someone who has been on multiple reality shows says that they're being real now, they fall into the category of crying wolf one too many times," says Jethro Nededog at Zap2It. On the other hand, "what does [Hilton] have to lose by calling the shots as a creator and producer on her own show?" And yes, while the odds are slim that we'll get to know the real Paris, it is possible, says Mandi Bierly at Entertainment Weekly. It happened with "Jessica Simpson when Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica first began." Could lightning strike twice? Watch a teaser for Hilton's new show:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week