The video: Over the past four years, Paris Hilton has done time in jail for driving with a suspended license, been arrested for cocaine possession, checked into rehab, and been accused of making racist remarks. How does she juggle it all? An upcoming Oxygen series, The World According to Paris, aims to find out. (See a clip below.) The series debuts June 1. It will feature Hilton "as she moves through her professional and personal life," according to the Los Angeles Times — a similar premise to Keeping up With the Kardashians, which has become the preeminent brand in socialite reality television. On Hilton's first reality show, The Simple Life, she was merely a character. "Now people will see my real world," she says. But does anyone want to?
The reaction: "When someone who has been on multiple reality shows says that they're being real now, they fall into the category of crying wolf one too many times," says Jethro Nededog at Zap2It. On the other hand, "what does [Hilton] have to lose by calling the shots as a creator and producer on her own show?" And yes, while the odds are slim that we'll get to know the real Paris, it is possible, says Mandi Bierly at Entertainment Weekly. It happened with "Jessica Simpson when Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica first began." Could lightning strike twice? Watch a teaser for Hilton's new show:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How to make classic pulled pork
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Game of Thrones is making a huge mistake by cutting Lady Stoneheart
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week