The video: Over the past four years, Paris Hilton has done time in jail for driving with a suspended license, been arrested for cocaine possession, checked into rehab, and been accused of making racist remarks. How does she juggle it all? An upcoming Oxygen series, The World According to Paris, aims to find out. (See a clip below.) The series debuts June 1. It will feature Hilton "as she moves through her professional and personal life," according to the Los Angeles Times — a similar premise to Keeping up With the Kardashians, which has become the preeminent brand in socialite reality television. On Hilton's first reality show, The Simple Life, she was merely a character. "Now people will see my real world," she says. But does anyone want to?
The reaction: "When someone who has been on multiple reality shows says that they're being real now, they fall into the category of crying wolf one too many times," says Jethro Nededog at Zap2It. On the other hand, "what does [Hilton] have to lose by calling the shots as a creator and producer on her own show?" And yes, while the odds are slim that we'll get to know the real Paris, it is possible, says Mandi Bierly at Entertainment Weekly. It happened with "Jessica Simpson when Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica first began." Could lightning strike twice? Watch a teaser for Hilton's new show:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The fascinating political evolution of Paul Ryan
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Is the Christian music industry liberalizing on gay marriage?
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
Subscribe to the Week