The video: Sarah Palin appears to be relishing Katie Couric's departure from the CBS Evening News. Palin fumbled a crucial interview with Couric during her 2008 vice presidential bid, infamously answering "all of them" when Couric asked what newspapers and magazines Palin read. On Tuesday, Fox News' Greta Van Susteren queried the former Alaska governor on her reaction to the news that Couric was stepping aside after five years in the CBS anchor chair. (See the video below.) "I think I read that in a newspaper. One of many newspapers that I read online," Palin said. "I hear that she wants to now engage in more 'multi-dimensional storytelling' versus I guess just the straight on, read into the, that teleprompter screen storytelling... more power to her."
The reaction: Palin's "mean-girl ugliness" is disgusting, says Gryphen at FavStocks, especially from someone who wants to be treated like a serious political leader. "If she wants to sit at the grownups table she better stop acting like a 4-year-old." Well, to be fair, Couric did hit Palin in 2008 with questions crafted to induce "her best caribou-in-headlights stare," says Dylan Stableford at The Wrap. So even though Palin wished Couric well, it's understandable that she did it mockingly. Rest assured, wherever Couric lands next, "Palin probably won't be watching." Watch Palin's jabs at Couric:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week