Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: The Danish Bible Society just published a version of the Good Book with more than 1,500 modernizations, including substituting "shy" for "meek," and "lucky" for "blessed." We asked you to translate a famous phrase from the Bible into current lingo, and thou e-maileth:
THE WINNER: My God, my God! Why have you unfriended me?
Jean MacKay Jackson, Tulsa, OK
SECOND PLACE: … do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because the Lord is the babydaddy
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
THIRD PLACE: And on the seventh day, He chilled
Edward Gerecs, Pembroke Pines, FL
Meredith Granieri, Ventnor, NJ
Genesis 1:1 -- Bang!
Pastor Terence D. McLean, Alpha, OH
And while they were in the field, Cain unfriended Abel
Mike Paul, Carrboro, NC
In the beginning, God created the hardware and the software
Deborah Halter, Decatur, GA
And Adam replied to the Lord, "I've changed my Facebook status to naked and hiding."
Ashley Ryan, Catonsville, MD
Go forth and do the math
Mike Maurer, Charleston, IL
And for 40 years the mothers told their children, "Yes, it's manna for dinner AGAIN"
Les Ackland, Oakdale, PA
The Top 10 Do's and Don'ts
Craig VanMetre, Bartlett, IL
Thou shalt not misappropriate
Bill Zisek, Houston
No schtupping on the side
Janine Witte, New Hope, PA
An iPhone for an iPhone
Lea-Anne Jackson, Decatur, GA
Judge not, lest ye be voted off
Angela James, Westminster, MD
Give props to the Lord.
Jim Siergey, Chicago
For God so loved the world, He didn’t send a committee
Robert Kimble, Roswell, GA
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Stop hating on cyclists
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week