elcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: The Danish Bible Society just published a version of the Good Book with more than 1,500 modernizations, including substituting "shy" for "meek," and "lucky" for "blessed." We asked you to translate a famous phrase from the Bible into current lingo, and thou e-maileth:
THE WINNER: My God, my God! Why have you unfriended me?
Jean MacKay Jackson, Tulsa, OK
SECOND PLACE: … do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because the Lord is the babydaddy
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
THIRD PLACE: And on the seventh day, He chilled
Edward Gerecs, Pembroke Pines, FL
Meredith Granieri, Ventnor, NJ
Genesis 1:1 -- Bang!
Pastor Terence D. McLean, Alpha, OH
And while they were in the field, Cain unfriended Abel
Mike Paul, Carrboro, NC
In the beginning, God created the hardware and the software
Deborah Halter, Decatur, GA
And Adam replied to the Lord, "I've changed my Facebook status to naked and hiding."
Ashley Ryan, Catonsville, MD
Go forth and do the math
Mike Maurer, Charleston, IL
And for 40 years the mothers told their children, "Yes, it's manna for dinner AGAIN"
Les Ackland, Oakdale, PA
The Top 10 Do's and Don'ts
Craig VanMetre, Bartlett, IL
Thou shalt not misappropriate
Bill Zisek, Houston
No schtupping on the side
Janine Witte, New Hope, PA
An iPhone for an iPhone
Lea-Anne Jackson, Decatur, GA
Judge not, lest ye be voted off
Angela James, Westminster, MD
Give props to the Lord.
Jim Siergey, Chicago
For God so loved the world, He didn’t send a committee
Robert Kimble, Roswell, GA
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Here are the people who want to take a one way trip to Mars
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week