elcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: The Danish Bible Society just published a version of the Good Book with more than 1,500 modernizations, including substituting "shy" for "meek," and "lucky" for "blessed." We asked you to translate a famous phrase from the Bible into current lingo, and thou e-maileth:
THE WINNER: My God, my God! Why have you unfriended me?
Jean MacKay Jackson, Tulsa, OK
SECOND PLACE: … do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because the Lord is the babydaddy
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
THIRD PLACE: And on the seventh day, He chilled
Edward Gerecs, Pembroke Pines, FL
Meredith Granieri, Ventnor, NJ
Genesis 1:1 -- Bang!
Pastor Terence D. McLean, Alpha, OH
And while they were in the field, Cain unfriended Abel
Mike Paul, Carrboro, NC
In the beginning, God created the hardware and the software
Deborah Halter, Decatur, GA
And Adam replied to the Lord, "I've changed my Facebook status to naked and hiding."
Ashley Ryan, Catonsville, MD
Go forth and do the math
Mike Maurer, Charleston, IL
And for 40 years the mothers told their children, "Yes, it's manna for dinner AGAIN"
Les Ackland, Oakdale, PA
The Top 10 Do's and Don'ts
Craig VanMetre, Bartlett, IL
Thou shalt not misappropriate
Bill Zisek, Houston
No schtupping on the side
Janine Witte, New Hope, PA
An iPhone for an iPhone
Lea-Anne Jackson, Decatur, GA
Judge not, lest ye be voted off
Angela James, Westminster, MD
Give props to the Lord.
Jim Siergey, Chicago
For God so loved the world, He didn’t send a committee
Robert Kimble, Roswell, GA
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- Ryan Seacrest invested $1 million to transform your iPhone into a BlackBerry
- Why European women are still smoking like chimneys
Subscribe to the Week