"By any sensible standard," Paul Simon is "a great American composer," says Jim Fusilli at The Wall Street Journal. And yet, while peers like Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell are worshipped and emulated by today's up-and-coming artists, "young musicians and fans haven't embraced the 69-year-old Mr. Simon with the same gusto." Why? In part, it's because Simon isn't hip, and really never has been. But that's a pretty lame rationale for dismissing his impressive and enduring catalog of hits, which "land squarely on the heart as well as the mind." Here, an excerpt:
There may be legitimate reasons for the chasm between Mr. Simon and younger audiences. Some of his lyrics portray him as an upscale urban intellectual who shields his emotions behind a well-considered phrase; when he writes at street level, there can be a sense that he's revealing research rather than experience. Mr. Simon's lyrics are almost always age appropriate; that is, his point of view is often that of whatever age he was when he wrote the song, relating experiences younger musicians and fans may not have had. For all his musical explorations— gospel, reggae, Mexican folk, South African mbaqanga, Afro-Brazilian batucada and electronic soundscapes, among them— Mr. Simon's recordings often polish away needed bite and edge. He's not an indie rocker.
Read the entire article at The Wall Street Journal.
- WATCH: Jon Stewart and Bill O'Reilly spar over the Obama scandals
- Is Greek yogurt hurting the environment?
- WATCH: Suspect defends brutal beheading of London man in broad daylight
- A linguistic dissection of 7 annoying teenage sounds
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Confessions of a trust-fund baby
- The FBI kills Tamerlan Tsarnaev's friend: 4 things we know [Updated]
- Did IRS official Lois Lerner waive her right to silence?
- Sadly, you are uglier than you think
- The politics behind Kanye West's 'New Slaves'
- Are we on the cusp of a solar energy boom?
- Why Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn doesn't want tornado relief money
- WATCH: Jon Stewart hates everyone in Washington now
- LIVE UPDATES: Massive tornado tears through Oklahoma City area
- Angry at the government? 5 ways you can fight back
- 7 purported health benefits of drinking coffee
- What is a quantum computer — and why does Google need one?
- Why NASA is funding a 3D pizza printer
- The cool backstory of the Slurpee