Maybe little girls' preference for pink goes beyond Disney princesses and Barbie. Researchers says they have scientific proof that women are instinctually drawn to pinks and purples because their female ancestors were berry gatherers. Here, a brief guide:
What is the deal with this study?
Researchers at China's Zhejiang University asked 350 subjects to rank 11 colors in order of preference. They found that the women were drawn to pink, purple and white, and men to blue and green.
What does that have to do with berry gathering?
The scientists say the color findings support their "hunter-gatherer theory on sex difference." They believe that a woman's brain is more suited to "gathering-related tasks," like identifying fruits and edible red leaves hidden in green foliage. Women's preference for reds and pinks might also be related to finding a suitable mate, one with healthy pink cheeks, they say.
Why would men like blue and green then?
For their manly ancestors, that would mean good weather for hunting.
Obviously, not everyone is buying this theory. Perhaps women simply fancy pink hues because "those are the colors they've had shoved down their throats since birth," says Margaret Hartmann in Jezebel. Also, what about blueberries and blackberries and edible flora with leaves that aren't red? This is "idiotic."
Have there been any other studies on this?
Yes, in 2007, Newcastle University neuroscientists looked at color selection. Their study found that everyone likes blue, but women tended to selected blues with reddish tones, while men opted for blue-greens. Those researchers also linked the color preferences to hunter-gatherer gender roles.
Sources: Daily Mail, Jezebel, TIME
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week