he video: Though countless musicians and wannabes have covered Nirvana since Kurt Cobain's death in 1994, few were less likely candidates than Miley Cyrus, who bellowed out an enthusiastic version of the grunge band's classic, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" at a teeny-bopper concert in Ecuador. (See the video below.) Adding to the surprise, some commentators are saying that Cyrus's cover "doesn't completely suck."
The reaction: This may be the most "incongruous rendition" of the song ever, says Maureen O'Connor at Gawker. And "I say this as someone who once witnessed a violin-flute duo called Nerdvana at an Illinois summer camp talent show in the '90s." What a cruel twist of fate, says Jeremy at Popbytes. I like Miley Cyrus, but "I can’t help but feel like Kurt Cobain is looking down on us from heaven, shaking his head and saying, 'Oh come on, I can only shoot myself in the face so many times.'" Lay off, says TJ at Neon Limelight. Cyrus gives it her all, and it's "pretty entertaining." Watch the incredulity-provoking performance:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week