The video: Though countless musicians and wannabes have covered Nirvana since Kurt Cobain's death in 1994, few were less likely candidates than Miley Cyrus, who bellowed out an enthusiastic version of the grunge band's classic, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" at a teeny-bopper concert in Ecuador. (See the video below.) Adding to the surprise, some commentators are saying that Cyrus's cover "doesn't completely suck."
The reaction: This may be the most "incongruous rendition" of the song ever, says Maureen O'Connor at Gawker. And "I say this as someone who once witnessed a violin-flute duo called Nerdvana at an Illinois summer camp talent show in the '90s." What a cruel twist of fate, says Jeremy at Popbytes. I like Miley Cyrus, but "I can’t help but feel like Kurt Cobain is looking down on us from heaven, shaking his head and saying, 'Oh come on, I can only shoot myself in the face so many times.'" Lay off, says TJ at Neon Limelight. Cyrus gives it her all, and it's "pretty entertaining." Watch the incredulity-provoking performance:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week