The video: Though countless musicians and wannabes have covered Nirvana since Kurt Cobain's death in 1994, few were less likely candidates than Miley Cyrus, who bellowed out an enthusiastic version of the grunge band's classic, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" at a teeny-bopper concert in Ecuador. (See the video below.) Adding to the surprise, some commentators are saying that Cyrus's cover "doesn't completely suck."
The reaction: This may be the most "incongruous rendition" of the song ever, says Maureen O'Connor at Gawker. And "I say this as someone who once witnessed a violin-flute duo called Nerdvana at an Illinois summer camp talent show in the '90s." What a cruel twist of fate, says Jeremy at Popbytes. I like Miley Cyrus, but "I can’t help but feel like Kurt Cobain is looking down on us from heaven, shaking his head and saying, 'Oh come on, I can only shoot myself in the face so many times.'" Lay off, says TJ at Neon Limelight. Cyrus gives it her all, and it's "pretty entertaining." Watch the incredulity-provoking performance:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
Subscribe to the Week