The video: Though countless musicians and wannabes have covered Nirvana since Kurt Cobain's death in 1994, few were less likely candidates than Miley Cyrus, who bellowed out an enthusiastic version of the grunge band's classic, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" at a teeny-bopper concert in Ecuador. (See the video below.) Adding to the surprise, some commentators are saying that Cyrus's cover "doesn't completely suck."
The reaction: This may be the most "incongruous rendition" of the song ever, says Maureen O'Connor at Gawker. And "I say this as someone who once witnessed a violin-flute duo called Nerdvana at an Illinois summer camp talent show in the '90s." What a cruel twist of fate, says Jeremy at Popbytes. I like Miley Cyrus, but "I can’t help but feel like Kurt Cobain is looking down on us from heaven, shaking his head and saying, 'Oh come on, I can only shoot myself in the face so many times.'" Lay off, says TJ at Neon Limelight. Cyrus gives it her all, and it's "pretty entertaining." Watch the incredulity-provoking performance:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
Subscribe to the Week