Jersey Shore, the MTV reality show documenting the mating, drinking, dancing, staring-into-space, and tanning habits of young Italian Americans, stands as the one-time music network's most successful television series ever. No wonder its cast members are getting spinoff-show deals at a dizzying rate. First, a series featuring Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi and Jenni "JWoww" Farley was announced, then another starring Paul "DJ Pauly D" Delvecchio. And now, Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino, known for his rock-hard abs and little else, has cut his own deal. The news has fans and commentators questioning MTV's sanity. Is this really such a horrible idea?
No, it makes business sense: These sure-to-succeed spinoffs will help "us to expand out from the base of Jersey Shore without taking away from what Jersey Shore is," says MTV exec Chris Linn, as quoted by The Hollywood Reporter. But rest assured, The Situation and all the other cast members will "continue to be involved in any potential future cycles of Jersey Shore."
"Jersey Shore's' The Situation inks development deal with MTV
But The Situation has zero solo talent: This is a "terrible idea," says Jeremy at Pop Bytes. On the sole occasion, at Donald Trump's roast, that The Situation tried to be amusing and interesting on his own, he totally bombed. Carrying a solo show? Scary stuff. "Is it possible for a television to shoot itself in the face? Because I can see that happening."
"Oh joy, The Situation is getting his own TV show!"
And he's downright offensive: I'm excited for the Jersey Shore girls to have their own show, and even Pauly D's doesn't sound too horrible — but I simply cannot support a series anchored by this arrogant, offensive young man, says Jessica Wakeman at The Frisky. "Imagine all [his] booze-infused date rape-y douchiness distilled into one show." The very idea makes me wonder what I, what the whole world, did to deserve this television abomination. "No good can come of this."
"The Situation is getting his own show on MTV"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
Subscribe to the Week