Jersey Shore, the MTV reality show documenting the mating, drinking, dancing, staring-into-space, and tanning habits of young Italian Americans, stands as the one-time music network's most successful television series ever. No wonder its cast members are getting spinoff-show deals at a dizzying rate. First, a series featuring Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi and Jenni "JWoww" Farley was announced, then another starring Paul "DJ Pauly D" Delvecchio. And now, Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino, known for his rock-hard abs and little else, has cut his own deal. The news has fans and commentators questioning MTV's sanity. Is this really such a horrible idea?
No, it makes business sense: These sure-to-succeed spinoffs will help "us to expand out from the base of Jersey Shore without taking away from what Jersey Shore is," says MTV exec Chris Linn, as quoted by The Hollywood Reporter. But rest assured, The Situation and all the other cast members will "continue to be involved in any potential future cycles of Jersey Shore."
"Jersey Shore's' The Situation inks development deal with MTV
But The Situation has zero solo talent: This is a "terrible idea," says Jeremy at Pop Bytes. On the sole occasion, at Donald Trump's roast, that The Situation tried to be amusing and interesting on his own, he totally bombed. Carrying a solo show? Scary stuff. "Is it possible for a television to shoot itself in the face? Because I can see that happening."
"Oh joy, The Situation is getting his own TV show!"
And he's downright offensive: I'm excited for the Jersey Shore girls to have their own show, and even Pauly D's doesn't sound too horrible — but I simply cannot support a series anchored by this arrogant, offensive young man, says Jessica Wakeman at The Frisky. "Imagine all [his] booze-infused date rape-y douchiness distilled into one show." The very idea makes me wonder what I, what the whole world, did to deserve this television abomination. "No good can come of this."
"The Situation is getting his own show on MTV"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The real lesson of Rick Perry's mug shot
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The Catholic case for military strikes in Iraq
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- Making officers more diverse isn't enough to stop police violence
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
Subscribe to the Week