Think again before you dive into a plate of French fries with your friends or go on a reality TV binge with your buddies. Researchers from Arizona State University's School of Human Evolution and Social Change have found that having fat friends normalizes being overweight and overeating and can make one more prone to being obese and inactive. Here, a brief instant guide:
What did the study find?
In short, the fatter a woman's friends, the more likely she was to be overweight or obese. (The study looked specifically at women and their closest friends and family members of unspecified gender.) On a subliminal level, having portly friends can make unhealthy eating patterns seem "normal" and subject you to pressure to work out less. Additionally, social activities with obese friends is more likely to center around eating or sedentary activities like television-watching, which can lead to weight gain. "You may form an idea of appropriate body size by simply observing your friends' bodies, which in turn changes your eating and exercise habits," says lead author Daniel Hruschka.
How was the study conducted?
Researchers interviewed 101 Phoenix, Ariz. women and 812 of their close friends and relatives. They looked at the Body Mass Index (BMI) of the women and those in their social network.
Have there been studies like this before?
Yes, a 2007 study out of Harvard Medical School also found that a tendency towards obesity could be transmitted, in a sense, among friends.
What are the implications of the findings?
The study's authors say it offers "important clues," for fighting obesity. "If we can figure out exactly why obesity spreads among friends and family members, that can tell us where to focus resources in curbing rates of obesity," says Hruschka.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
Subscribe to the Week