The image: Since being elected to the House of Representatives in 2008, Aaron Schock (R-Ill.), 29, has been both celebrated and pilloried for being America's "youngest and hottest" congressman. Schock was once "coy about his torso," says Chris Rovzar in New York — he'd been "burned" by having a "seemingly naughty" poolside photo go viral — but his days of modesty are clearly over. A barechested Schock shows off six-pack abs on the June cover of Men's Health magazine, which labels him "The Ripped Representative" and "America's fittest congressman." (See the cover below.) Schock's shirtless photos are part of the magazine's "Fit for Life Summer Challenge," aimed at getting Americans to work out and eat healthy.
The reaction: "Forget the debt crisis, unemployment rate and the biggest kill of the decade," says Caroline May at The Daily Caller. "Schock knows what needs attention — his washboard stomach." "Is it just me, or is this like the best career move ever?" asks Emily Abbate at The Stir. Actually, a U.S. congressman "stripping down for a fitness-magazine cover" is "a bit shocking," says Tim Nudd at People. At least Schock "is not the first politician" to appear on the cover of Men's Health, says Jennifer Steinhauer in The New York Times. President Obama graced the cover twice. "The president, however, was fully clothed." Check out this exhibitionist congressman for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
Subscribe to the Week