It's another milestone for Apple: The iPhone maker has overtaken Google as the world's most valuable brand, according to the annual BrandZ rankings by the Millward Brown research unit of British advertising giant WPP. Of course, the methodology behind these rankings isn't as exact as the math behind quarterly earnings reports, but Millward Brown does use consumer research and financial analysis to gauge sentiment for top brands, and uses that information to try to pin down their value. Here, a guide to the ranking, by the numbers:
Value of Apple's brand, the number one brand, according to Millward Brown
Increase in Apple's brand value from 2010
Increase in Apple's brand value since 2006, when the BrandZ rankings started
Market value of Apple, based on the closing price of its stock on Tuesday
Value of Google's brand, according to Millward Brown
Decrease in Google's BrandZ brand value from 2010
Consecutive years that Google had been the world's most valuable brand in Millward Brown's rankings
Number of the top five brands that are in the tech sector. IBM ranked third, McDonald's fourth, and Microsoft came in fifth.
Brand value of Amazon.com
Brand value of Walmart, which slipped behind Amazon to become the second most valuable retail brand. But Walmart "still has more than 10 times the sales and more than five times the market capitalization of Amazon," says Jack Neff at Advertising Age.
Increase in Facebook's brand value from 2010, making it the "top rising brand," according to the report. Facebook's brand is valued at $19.1 billion, just behind popular diaper brand, Pamper's.
Increase in the brand value of Chinese search giant Baidu, which is now tallied at $22.5 billion
Chinese brands in the Top 100
Chinese brands in the Top 10 (China Mobile, a tech firm)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
Subscribe to the Week