nap! According to State Farm insurance, the nation's largest personal insurer, dog bites have become a "serious public health problem." Last year, the company paid out $90 million in dog-bite claims, and the insurance industry as a whole paid out almost five times that much. Here, a stats-based guide to the problem:
Amount insurers paid for dog-bite claims in 2010, according to the Insurance Information Institute
Number of dog-bite claims insurers received in 2010
Number of dog-bite claims in 2009
Average cost per bite in 2009
Average cost of a dog-bite claim in 2010. While the number of claims decreased, the price tag of each inched up due to rising health care and legal defense costs, according to a State Farm insurance spokesperson.
Average amount paid out for dog-bite claims in Florida in 2010, the state with the highest cost-per-incident
Number of dog-bite claims in California in 2010. The Golden State led the pack for dog-bite claims, followed by Illinois with 317 claims, and Ohio with 215.
Number of deaths caused by dog bites in 2010, according to State Farm. Twenty were young children.
Percent of dog-bite victims under 12 years old
Number of states where State Farm refuses insurance based on dog breed. According to Ohio law, the pit bull is a "vicious dog," and State Farm does not cover them.
Number of pit bull attacks that caused bodily harm from 1982 to 2010, according to an Animal People study. Pit bulls were implicated in more attacks causing bodily harm, maimings, and death than any other breed. Rounding out the study's list of the five most dangerous breeds were the Rottweiler, Husky, wolf hybrid, and Bull mastiff.
Percent of fatal dog attacks for which pit bulls were responsible in 2008, according to a recent study. "These breeds should be regulated in the same way in which other dangerous species, such as leopards, are regulated," say the study's authors.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's dad: 'I wish he'd never been born'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
Subscribe to the Week