The Week Opinion Awards, which celebrate the nation's best opinion writing, were held on May 11 at The W Hotel in Washington, D.C. David Gregory hosted the ceremony, where Peggy Noonan was crowned top columnist, Tom Toles top cartoonist, and John Sides top blogger of the year. Gregory also interviewed Austan Goolsbee, chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors, and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). Here, some highlights from the event:
A recap of the event that includes a section of Sir Harold Evans' introductory remarks, and reflections from some prominent attendees.
Noonan, Toles, and Sides reflect on their awards — and their crafts — in their acceptance speeches.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
Subscribe to the Week