he Week Opinion Awards, which celebrate the nation's best opinion writing, were held on May 11 at The W Hotel in Washington, D.C. David Gregory hosted the ceremony, where Peggy Noonan was crowned top columnist, Tom Toles top cartoonist, and John Sides top blogger of the year. Gregory also interviewed Austan Goolsbee, chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors, and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). Here, some highlights from the event:
A recap of the event that includes a section of Sir Harold Evans' introductory remarks, and reflections from some prominent attendees.
Noonan, Toles, and Sides reflect on their awards — and their crafts — in their acceptance speeches.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 7, 2013
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The irresponsibly stupid and dangerous camouflage patterns of the U.S. military
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- Ryan Seacrest invested $1 million to transform your iPhone into a BlackBerry
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
Six things your fingers say about you
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
Subscribe to the Week