The Week Opinion Awards, which celebrate the nation's best opinion writing, were held on May 11 at The W Hotel in Washington, D.C. David Gregory hosted the ceremony, where Peggy Noonan was crowned top columnist, Tom Toles top cartoonist, and John Sides top blogger of the year. Gregory also interviewed Austan Goolsbee, chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors, and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). Here, some highlights from the event:
A recap of the event that includes a section of Sir Harold Evans' introductory remarks, and reflections from some prominent attendees.
Noonan, Toles, and Sides reflect on their awards — and their crafts — in their acceptance speeches.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
Subscribe to the Week