t didn't take long — just two days! — for Disney to reportedly file trademark applications for the phrase "SEAL Team 6," the name of the secret commando squad that killed Osama bin Laden on May 1. The potential trademark, which would cover apparel, toys, games, "entertainment and education services," and other items, has commentators reeling. Is this a good business move, blatant exploitation, or both?
This is just smart business: "SEAL Team 6 has proven its marketing potential, and Disney, wisely, was the first to jump on the opportunity to profit," says Nick Carbone at TIME. I can hardly fault them for that. As long as they don't get so trademark-crazy that I have to pay royalties just for mentioning SEAL Team 6, I'll "let this one slide with nothing more than a begrudging eye roll."
"Capitalizing on the commendation: Disney trademarks 'SEAL Team 6'"
Nothing good can come of this: "I shudder to imagine" what Disney has in mind for its new trademark, says Doug Powers at Michelle Malkin's site. Perhaps an "'Abbottabad Disney' theme park" — or maybe Team 6 will take over for the army men in the next Toy Story movie. Whatever the company ends up doing, this is a lousy idea. "The SEALs want less attention," not more.
"Disney applies for 'SEAL Team 6' trademark"
This is disturbing... and uniquely American: I can't decide if Disney's move shows "galling cynicism about the nature of the American consumer, or almost Jedi-like insight about America's penchant for hero narratives," says Alex Moore at Death + Taxes. Regardless, it takes nerve to see "merchandising opportunity in this murder." But hey, maybe the best way to wake up from the collective "bin Laden nightmare" once and for all is to Disney-fy it. And "what's more American" than getting rich exploiting bin Laden's death?
"Disney trademarks SEAL Team 6, set to franchise bin Laden kill"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week