The idea that college isn't really worth the hefty price tag (not to mention the daunting student loans) has been called "one of the year's most fashionable." But according to a Pew Research Center analysis of Census Bureau data, that buzzy idea may very well be wrong, at least in economic terms. The survey found that the typical adult with a college degree makes $550,000 more over a 40-year career than the average high school graduate. And yet, a second Pew study found that the majority of Americans don't think college is worth the money. Here, a brief guide, by the numbers:
Percent of adults who say they expect their kids to go to college
Percent of adults who say America's higher education system doesn't provide families and students with good value for the money
Percent who said they are saving for college
Percent who said college was too expensive for the average American to afford
Factor by which the cost of college has multiplied, roughly, since 1980, adjusting for inflation. That's from around $10,000 annually to roughly $30,000.
Amount of debt the average 2011 college grad leaves school with, making this year's class the most indebted class ever
Percent of adults between 18 and 34 who don't have a bachelor's degree, and aren't in college, who say they would prefer to work than go to school
Percent of students who showed no improvement in critical thinking, complex reasoning, and writing after their first two years of college, according to research cited by Richard Arum and Josipa Roksa, authors of Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses
Percent of college grads who say "their college education was very useful in helping them increase their knowledge and grow intellectually"
Percent who said it was "very useful" in helping them get a job or start a career
Percent of freshmen who spent less than 15 hours per week studying, according to a study by the National Survey of Student Engagement
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week