Retired prison guard Don Gorske dedicated his professional life to the penal system, but his (shockingly) still beating heart belongs to the McDonald's Big Mac. The 57-year-old Wisconsin native broke his own Guinness World Record Tuesday when he consumed his 25,000th Big Mac. Gorske, who was featured in the 2004 documentary Super Size Me, says he likes counting things, and is "probably obsessive compulsive." And the burger fanatic has no intention of stopping: "I plan on eating Big Macs until I die." Here, a look at Gorske's dietary milestone, by the numbers:
The record number of Big Macs Gorske has consumed
Time that has elapsed since his first McDonald's patty
Number of Big Macs he ate on his first day: May 17, 1972
The previous Guinness World Record for number of Big Macs consumed, set in 2008 by Gorske himself
Longest stretch of days Gorske has gone without a Big Mac
Average number of Big Macs Gorske consumes per day
Number of bites he takes to finish one burger
Estimated share of Gorske's diet reserved for Big Macs
Number of calories in one Big Mac
Number of Big Mac calories Gorske has ingested over the last 39 years
Grams of Big Mac fat Gorske has eaten over the last 39 years
More than 630,000
Number of Americans per year who die from cardiovascular disease
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
Subscribe to the Week