he video: Saturday Night Live ended its season on a high, not to say shrill, note. With Justin Timberlake hosting and Lady Gaga as musical guest (and frequent sketch participant), the show's season finale scored the biggest ratings for an SNL finale in seven years. One highlight was Timberlake's reunion with cast member Andy Samberg as a sex-crazed, early-'90s R&B duo — the same act that scored an Emmy in 2006 for the "D--- in a Box" digital short. For their new production, "Three-Way (the Golden Rule)," Lady Gaga joined the guys for a "hilarious" menage à trois — "It's not gay when it's in a three-way," they crooned — with cameos from Susan Sarandon and Patricia Clarkson. (Watch the video below.)
The reaction: With this latest short, the guys "may have topped" the Emmy-winning "D--- in a Box" says Aaron Couch at The Hollywood Reporter. Yes, as usual, Timberlake and Samberg's "faux-R&B duo" and their cheesy 90s clothes were hysterical, says Nick Carbone at TIME. But it was "Lady Gaga's natural acting talent" that took the schtick to new heights. Indeed, says Jason Hughes at TV Squad. I was "impressed by how involved Gaga got with several of the sketches." Timberlake might have found his perfect "SNL-hosting female counterpart." View "Three Way" for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week