The video: Saturday Night Live ended its season on a high, not to say shrill, note. With Justin Timberlake hosting and Lady Gaga as musical guest (and frequent sketch participant), the show's season finale scored the biggest ratings for an SNL finale in seven years. One highlight was Timberlake's reunion with cast member Andy Samberg as a sex-crazed, early-'90s R&B duo — the same act that scored an Emmy in 2006 for the "D--- in a Box" digital short. For their new production, "Three-Way (the Golden Rule)," Lady Gaga joined the guys for a "hilarious" menage à trois — "It's not gay when it's in a three-way," they crooned — with cameos from Susan Sarandon and Patricia Clarkson. (Watch the video below.)
The reaction: With this latest short, the guys "may have topped" the Emmy-winning "D--- in a Box" says Aaron Couch at The Hollywood Reporter. Yes, as usual, Timberlake and Samberg's "faux-R&B duo" and their cheesy 90s clothes were hysterical, says Nick Carbone at TIME. But it was "Lady Gaga's natural acting talent" that took the schtick to new heights. Indeed, says Jason Hughes at TV Squad. I was "impressed by how involved Gaga got with several of the sketches." Timberlake might have found his perfect "SNL-hosting female counterpart." View "Three Way" for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
Subscribe to the Week