he video: Saturday Night Live ended its season on a high, not to say shrill, note. With Justin Timberlake hosting and Lady Gaga as musical guest (and frequent sketch participant), the show's season finale scored the biggest ratings for an SNL finale in seven years. One highlight was Timberlake's reunion with cast member Andy Samberg as a sex-crazed, early-'90s R&B duo — the same act that scored an Emmy in 2006 for the "D--- in a Box" digital short. For their new production, "Three-Way (the Golden Rule)," Lady Gaga joined the guys for a "hilarious" menage à trois — "It's not gay when it's in a three-way," they crooned — with cameos from Susan Sarandon and Patricia Clarkson. (Watch the video below.)
The reaction: With this latest short, the guys "may have topped" the Emmy-winning "D--- in a Box" says Aaron Couch at The Hollywood Reporter. Yes, as usual, Timberlake and Samberg's "faux-R&B duo" and their cheesy 90s clothes were hysterical, says Nick Carbone at TIME. But it was "Lady Gaga's natural acting talent" that took the schtick to new heights. Indeed, says Jason Hughes at TV Squad. I was "impressed by how involved Gaga got with several of the sketches." Timberlake might have found his perfect "SNL-hosting female counterpart." View "Three Way" for yourself:
- 10 things you need to know today: December 5, 2013
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- The indignity of canine bath time
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Watch the overstuffed first trailer
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why income inequality has become the Democratic Party's top issue
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Mexico's unluckiest thieves stole enough radioactive waste to make a dirty bomb
Subscribe to the Week