t's prom season, the American teenage right of passage that marks a time of celebration, stressful corsage pinnings, precarious high-heel experiments, and very serious spending. Here, a guide to the highly profitable prom business, by the numbers:
Estimated value of the American prom industry
Prom night rental fee for a stretch SUV limo that can accommodate 14 people, in Virginia
Rental fee for the same SUV limo on any other night of the year. When asked about the price discrepancy, an employee of the Virginia company said, "Teenagers are horrible."
Cost of the diamond-studded, "most expensive prom dress ever" on offer from Philadelphia-based company, Dress Goddess
Cost of the average prom dress
Cost of renting San Diego's Broadway Pier and tranforming it into a reasonable replica of Pandora, the fictional planet in Avatar, for San Marcos High School's graduates
Average amount a family in the South will spend on prom, according to VISA's 2011 prom spending survey
Average amount a family in the Northeast will spend on prom
Average amount a family in the Midwest will spend on prom
Average amount a family in the West will spend on prom
Average amount parents with a combined income of less than $50,000 will spend on prom
Average amount parents with a combined income of more than $50,000 will spend on prom
Amount one suburban New York mother spent on her 15-year-old's first prom, which included teeth whitening, hair extensions, makeup, and, of course, the dress
- Did God have a wife?
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- 10 things you need to know today: December 9, 2013
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Homeland recap: 'Big Man in Tehran'
- Watch SNL delightfully mess with all your childhood Christmas favorites
- 7 strange things found in people's stomachs [Updated]
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
Subscribe to the Week