Tens of millions of Americans plan to climb into their cars or board airplanes for Memorial Day weekend getaways, according to AAA. In fact, the number of travelers is expected to grow slightly this year over 2010, even though gas prices are up more than $1 per gallon. Here, a look at the holiday travel trends, by the numbers:
Estimated number of Americans who will travel more than 50 miles from home this Memorial Day weekend, an increase of about 100,000 people (0.2 percent) over last year
Distance from home, in miles, the typical traveler plans to go this year
Distance from home, in miles, the typical traveler voyaged last year
Estimated drop, in percentage points, in the typical travel budget this year vs. 2010. Think less traffic at pricey theme parks, and more at historic sites and beaches.
Estimated increase, in percentage points, in the number of air travelers this holiday weekend over last year. The rise is attributed to higher gas prices.
Barrels of gasoline Americans pumped over the three-day weekend in 2007, when a gallon cost $3.20
Decrease, in percentage points, in Memorial Day weekend gasoline consumption from 2007 to 2010
Percentage of the typical American family's income that went to gasoline in 2008
Percentage of the typical American family's income that went to gasoline in April 2011
Sources: Christian Science Monitor, NY Times, Forbes, Wall St. Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Behind the newest attempt to get the Supreme Court to strike down affirmative action
- Why insects are the future of food
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week