t's no secret that Facebook is astoundingly popular, but a new report from the Facebook stats blog Socialbakers.com says the social networking behemoth is about to reach "an absolutely jaw-dropping milestone": 700 million users. Here, a brief guide by the numbers:
Number of users that Facebook confirmed it had reached last summer, according to PCMag
Number of additional users that Facebook will have added in roughly a year if the projection by Socialbakers.com that Facebook is "closing in" on 700,000,000 holds true
Approximate population of the U.S., according to U.S. Census Bureau
Number of new Facebook users added in Brazil last month, the most of any country. Other countries that showed big gains in May were Indonesia, Philippines, Mexico, Argentina, and India. "Brazil and India are interesting because they're huge and have other social networks," says Pascal-Emmanuel Gobry at Business Insider. "If Facebook dominates there, it can grow that much faster and dominate that much more."
Number of photos that Facebook is project to host by summer's end, according to the Pixable photo sharing blog
Estimated number of photos uploaded to Facebook each month
Number of photos uploaded to Facebook on New Year's Eve weekend alone
Number of photos uploaded by the average female Facebook user, according to Pixable
Number uploaded by the average man
Number of friends the average user has, according to Pixable
Ranking among the world's largest countries that Facebook would occupy if it were a country unto itself
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week