The video: After a pirated (or strategically leaked) teaser for the upcoming film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo went viral last weekend, Sony Pictures released the official trailer online. (Watch it below.) David Fincher's hotly anticipated English adaptation of Stieg Larsson's Swedish thriller won't hit theaters until Dec. 21, but this rollout suggests the self-proclaimed "feel-bad movie of Christmas" will make waves long before that. The film stars Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, and Rooney Mara as the title character, "goth-punk hacker" Lisbeth Salander, who's enigmatically absent from much of the trailer.
The reaction: This "official" trailer "is just as fantastic as the previously seen teaser," with its fast, edgy parade of clips set to Trent Reznor and Karen O's cover of Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song," says Josh Wigler at MTV. It's clear from even this frenetic glimpse that Fincher has "gone all in on the dark and gritty tone that this story is best known for." Indeed, says Sandy Schaefer at ScreenRant. Shockingly, Fincher's "stylishly dark" remake might even top the "acclaimed" Swedish original. Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
Subscribe to the Week