he video: After a pirated (or strategically leaked) teaser for the upcoming film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo went viral last weekend, Sony Pictures released the official trailer online. (Watch it below.) David Fincher's hotly anticipated English adaptation of Stieg Larsson's Swedish thriller won't hit theaters until Dec. 21, but this rollout suggests the self-proclaimed "feel-bad movie of Christmas" will make waves long before that. The film stars Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, and Rooney Mara as the title character, "goth-punk hacker" Lisbeth Salander, who's enigmatically absent from much of the trailer.
The reaction: This "official" trailer "is just as fantastic as the previously seen teaser," with its fast, edgy parade of clips set to Trent Reznor and Karen O's cover of Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song," says Josh Wigler at MTV. It's clear from even this frenetic glimpse that Fincher has "gone all in on the dark and gritty tone that this story is best known for." Indeed, says Sandy Schaefer at ScreenRant. Shockingly, Fincher's "stylishly dark" remake might even top the "acclaimed" Swedish original. Judge for yourself:
- Washington has an Edward Snowden problem
- WATCH: Australia's army chief demonstrates how you address sex abuse
- Michael Hastings, remembered
- The last telegram ever is about to be sent
- WATCH: John Oliver tackles the politics of immigration reform
- The last word: He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How typeface influences the way we read and think
- The daily gossip: Kim Kardashian and Kanye West have allegedly chosen a baby name, and more
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to