he video: After a pirated (or strategically leaked) teaser for the upcoming film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo went viral last weekend, Sony Pictures released the official trailer online. (Watch it below.) David Fincher's hotly anticipated English adaptation of Stieg Larsson's Swedish thriller won't hit theaters until Dec. 21, but this rollout suggests the self-proclaimed "feel-bad movie of Christmas" will make waves long before that. The film stars Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, and Rooney Mara as the title character, "goth-punk hacker" Lisbeth Salander, who's enigmatically absent from much of the trailer.
The reaction: This "official" trailer "is just as fantastic as the previously seen teaser," with its fast, edgy parade of clips set to Trent Reznor and Karen O's cover of Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song," says Josh Wigler at MTV. It's clear from even this frenetic glimpse that Fincher has "gone all in on the dark and gritty tone that this story is best known for." Indeed, says Sandy Schaefer at ScreenRant. Shockingly, Fincher's "stylishly dark" remake might even top the "acclaimed" Swedish original. Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week