The video: After a pirated (or strategically leaked) teaser for the upcoming film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo went viral last weekend, Sony Pictures released the official trailer online. (Watch it below.) David Fincher's hotly anticipated English adaptation of Stieg Larsson's Swedish thriller won't hit theaters until Dec. 21, but this rollout suggests the self-proclaimed "feel-bad movie of Christmas" will make waves long before that. The film stars Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, and Rooney Mara as the title character, "goth-punk hacker" Lisbeth Salander, who's enigmatically absent from much of the trailer.
The reaction: This "official" trailer "is just as fantastic as the previously seen teaser," with its fast, edgy parade of clips set to Trent Reznor and Karen O's cover of Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song," says Josh Wigler at MTV. It's clear from even this frenetic glimpse that Fincher has "gone all in on the dark and gritty tone that this story is best known for." Indeed, says Sandy Schaefer at ScreenRant. Shockingly, Fincher's "stylishly dark" remake might even top the "acclaimed" Swedish original. Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
Subscribe to the Week