The video: With Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 gearing up for a big summer release — and its three stars now old enough to become legally drunk in America — it's easy to forget how young, precocious, and green Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint were when they started shooting the first movie. Here's a simple reminder: A snippet of the magical trio's first screen test together, filmed more than 10 years ago, has been spliced into a teaser for the franchise's final installment. (Watch the video below.) Even during that initial screen test, Hermione was already chastising the boys for their failure to study.
The reaction: "Ah, youth!" says Darren Franich at Entertainment Weekly. With the looming finale promising to be ominous, violent, and "emotionally brutalizing for audiences," this clip is at least "a flashback to happier times." I've barely survived to say, adds Amanda Dobbins at New York, the video is "unbearably cute." And look how far the three performers have come, says Christopher Rosen at Movieline. In this old clip, "They're such bad actors!" See for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
Subscribe to the Week