The video: With Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 gearing up for a big summer release — and its three stars now old enough to become legally drunk in America — it's easy to forget how young, precocious, and green Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint were when they started shooting the first movie. Here's a simple reminder: A snippet of the magical trio's first screen test together, filmed more than 10 years ago, has been spliced into a teaser for the franchise's final installment. (Watch the video below.) Even during that initial screen test, Hermione was already chastising the boys for their failure to study.
The reaction: "Ah, youth!" says Darren Franich at Entertainment Weekly. With the looming finale promising to be ominous, violent, and "emotionally brutalizing for audiences," this clip is at least "a flashback to happier times." I've barely survived to say, adds Amanda Dobbins at New York, the video is "unbearably cute." And look how far the three performers have come, says Christopher Rosen at Movieline. In this old clip, "They're such bad actors!" See for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week