ince political sex scandals now erupt every few months, I am offering, as a public service, the following all-purpose apology, to be clipped and saved for those occasions when lies will no longer do. I have helpfully provided some alternative phrasing that should cover virtually any circumstance. Ready? Bring in the media.
Some time ago, I suffered a severe lapse of judgment that led me to:
(a) have an inappropriate relationship with an intern who said I was "hot"
(b) tickle hunky young members of my staff until they cried
(c) take a wide stance
(d) impregnate our nanny
For this, I take full responsibility, and apologize to:
(a) my wife
(b) my children (both legitimate and out of wedlock)
(c) my constituents
(d) and all Americans, living and dead
I am not resigning at this time, until I see what hard evidence turns up, but I do take full responsibility for:
(a) my sins
(b) my sex addiction
(c) being such an incredible effing moron
I am now:
(a) checking into a cushy rehab in Malibu
(b) embarking on a deeply spiritual journey of self-discovery and contrition
(c) arranging for a castration
(d) hiring the most ruthless lawyers and damage-control specialists I can find
While I do so, please respect my family’s privacy. It’s no excuse, but I engaged in this lapse of judgment because:
(a) when "Mr. Happy" becomes enthused, it cuts off blood flow to my brain
(b) I feel so passionately about my country that I needed to blow off some steam
(c) I have such great pecs
(d) I am a creepy old horndog
I take full responsibility for that. In conclusion, may I ask you to join me in praying for:
(a) my soul
(b) any woman who comes within 10 feet of me
(c) an even more lurid sex scandal, so that you’ll forget about this one
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why cutting the government doesn't make it more efficient
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
Subscribe to the Week