Leona Helmsley's notoriously spoiled dog, Trouble, had a good life... a very good life. When the "Queen of Mean" died in 2007, she bequeathed her beloved Maltese a whopping $12 million. After a number of health issues left Trouble blind and sick, the aging pooch passed away last December, a fact Helmsley spokespeople have just made public. Here, a brief guide, by the numbers, to the life and death of the $12 million dog:
Helmsley's estimated worth when she died in 2007, making her the 369th richest person on Earth according to a Forbes ranking. While leaving Trouble $12 million, Helmsley cut two grandchildren out of her will entirely, and left much of the remainder of her estate to a canine charity, as further proof of her devotion to Trouble and his kind.
Number of months Helmsley spent in federal prison after being convicted in 1989 of evading $1.2 million in taxes. A former housekeeper testified that she'd once heard her boss say, "We don't pay taxes, only the little people pay taxes."
Amount to which Trouble's $12 million inheritance was later reduced by a judge
Amount on which Trouble could manage each year, according to the dog's caretaker, Carl Lekic
Share of that sum allocated for Trouble's grooming
Share for food
Share for Lekic's fee and a full-time security guard
20 to 30
Number of death and kidnapping threats reportedly received by Trouble, necessitating the aforementioned security guard
Square footage of the family mausoleum in New York's Westchester County, where Helmsley wanted Trouble interred with her. Sadly, it couldn't be. "You cannot bury pets in a cemetery," says a cemetery board member. "The same rules apply to mausoleums."
Amount that Florida socialite Gail Posner left her dogs, a Chihuahua named Conchita among them, when she died in 2010. "She's the Leona Helmsley of the Sunshine State," said Tim Peron in the New York Post.
Amount Oprah is reportedly planning on bequeathing to her dogs
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
Subscribe to the Week