he video: The Everett, Wash., Police Department parking lot has come under attack from a flock of courageous crows. Like a scene pulled from the video game Angry Birds, the crows "dive-bomb" officers as they walk from their cruisers into the precinct building. (Watch a news report below.) "They're like velociraptors," says one lieutenant, as quoted by the Associated Press. Retaliation from the officers has only resulted in a torrent of droppings from above. Worse, the birds are conspiring: Three birds have been seen working as a team, with two causing a distraction while the other strikes. Despite the nuisance, a city spokesman says the police and city workers will "wait out the aggression," so as to not provoke the crows any further. In the meantime, employees should "use umbrellas to defend themselves if need be."
The reaction: It's "a scene that's equal parts Hitchcock and Assault on Precinct 13," says Cyriaque Lamar at io9. And if the aggression continues, says Keegan Hamilton at Seattle Weekly, it's only a matter of time until a "fed-up cop" cracks and begins shooting the birds. "The triumphant officer would, of course, quote the raven and say of the bird battle, 'Nevermore.'" Check out the raptor-like crows for yourself:
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 enduring lessons from It's a Wonderful Life
- Step away from the ruler: Penis size studies are pretty worthless
- Was the sign-language interpreter at the Mandela memorial faking it?
Subscribe to the Week