The video: The Everett, Wash., Police Department parking lot has come under attack from a flock of courageous crows. Like a scene pulled from the video game Angry Birds, the crows "dive-bomb" officers as they walk from their cruisers into the precinct building. (Watch a news report below.) "They're like velociraptors," says one lieutenant, as quoted by the Associated Press. Retaliation from the officers has only resulted in a torrent of droppings from above. Worse, the birds are conspiring: Three birds have been seen working as a team, with two causing a distraction while the other strikes. Despite the nuisance, a city spokesman says the police and city workers will "wait out the aggression," so as to not provoke the crows any further. In the meantime, employees should "use umbrellas to defend themselves if need be."
The reaction: It's "a scene that's equal parts Hitchcock and Assault on Precinct 13," says Cyriaque Lamar at io9. And if the aggression continues, says Keegan Hamilton at Seattle Weekly, it's only a matter of time until a "fed-up cop" cracks and begins shooting the birds. "The triumphant officer would, of course, quote the raven and say of the bird battle, 'Nevermore.'" Check out the raptor-like crows for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
Subscribe to the Week