he video: The sleepy special election to replace Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif.) has suddenly gone national, and viral, thanks to a web ad that's being called "shocking, blatantly racist," "Willie Horton on steroids," "the most offensive political ad ever made," and (by its creator, Ladd Ehlinger Jr.) "funny." The ad accuses Democratic candidate Janice Hahn of wasting tax dollars on a gang rehabilitation program, making its point by portraying Hahn as a devil-eyed stripper being spanked by "gangsters" chanting, "Give me your cash, bitch." (View it below.) The ad was independently produced by Turn Right USA PAC, without the involvement of Republican candidate Craig Huey, and both Republicans and Democrats are condemning it.
The reaction: Turn Right's "poorly made," low-budget attack ad is a gift to Hahn, says Carmel Lobello in Death + Taxes. In one fell swoop, it "draws negative attention to the GOP, and specifically Craig Huey," and makes Hahn a sympathetic national figure. For his part, ad-maker Ehlinger must be relishing the uproar, says David Weigel at Slate. After all, his goal was to "get people talking about a spot on the Hahn record that no one had paid attention to." Watch the spot:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
Subscribe to the Week