Petra Ecclestone, a 22-year-old Formula One heiress, is in the process of buying late TV producer Aaron Spelling's notoriously massive estate in the tony Holmby Hills area of Los Angeles. At its asking price of $150 million, Spelling's "The Manor" would have been the most expensive single-family home sale in U.S. history, though Ecclestone reportedly paid far less. Spelling's widow, Candy Spelling, had the house on the market for two years before the British heiress stepped in. Here's a by-the-numbers look at what Ecclestone is offering for her spacious second home:
2009 asking price for the estate
Price Ecclestone paid, according to TMZ
Net worth of Ecclestone's British father, Formula One CEO Bernie Ecclestone
Square footage of The Manor
Number of rooms, including rooms reserved for flower-cutting, china display, a beauty salon, and "several" gift-wrapping rooms
Acreage of the property
Number of parking spaces in the motor court and 16 carports
Seats at dining room table
Bowling lanes in the house
Number of maids' bedrooms and butlers' suites in a service wing
Petra's preferential ranking of the Spelling estate, after Suzanne Saperstein's nearby "Fleur de Lys"
2007 asking price for the still-available Fleur de Lys
Price paid for a Silicon Valley house earlier this year, by Russian Yuri Milner
Price Petra Eccleston paid for her other home, a six-story townhouse in London's Chelsea neighborhood
Price Candy Spelling paid for her new home, a condo in nearby Century City
The amount Spelling kids Tori and Randy inherited in 2006
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week