t's been a blockbuster week for the Broadway smash hit, The Book of Mormon, an irreverent tale of two well-intentioned, fish-out-of-water Mormon missionaries in Uganda, written and produced by the creators of the nothing-is-sacred cartoon South Park. The musical won nine Tony Awards on Sunday, its cast album skyrocketed to number three on the Billboard charts, and its top premium ticket price just eclipsed the record set by The Producers in 2001. Here, a brief guide to Mormon's success, by the numbers:
Price of a premium ticket to Book of Mormon bought less than 48 hours before a performance, according to Telecharge
Price of a premium ticket to The Producers in 2001, which previously held the record for top ticket price
The price of that 2001 Producers ticket today, adjusted for inflation, according to Bloomberg
Price for a pair of orchestra seats to a Saturday performance of Book of Mormon, listed on StubHub
Regular price of a Book of Mormon orchestra seat, also a Broadway record
Estimated advanced ticket sales as of June 14, according to The Los Angeles Times
Estimated gross of Book of Mormon so far, not including advanced ticket sales
Gross from ticket sales for the the week ending June 12, according to Broadway World
Percent capacity at which the Book of Mormon has been playing for the past 11 weeks
Copies sold of The Book of Mormon Original Cast Recording in the week following the Tony Awards, putting it at number three on the Billboard album charts
Copies of the cast album sold during its first week on the charts in May, when it debuted at number 31. Its first-week sales made it the fastest selling Broadway cast album in iTunes history.
Number of years since a Broadway cast album reached the Top 10, according to Billboard. It was 1969, and the show was Hair.
Previous best sales week by a Broadway cast album, by The Phantom of the Opera in 1992
Number of Tony nominations The Book of Mormon received, one nod short of the record held by The Producers and Billy Elliot
Number of Tony awards The Book of Mormon won
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
Subscribe to the Week