Google has reached an "unprecedented milestone," becoming the first company ever to score more than 1 billion unique visitors to its websites in a single month. Here, a by-the-numbers look at Google's landmark May traffic:
Unique visitors to Google-owned websites in May, according to data from tracking firm comScore, as reported by The Wall Street Journal. That traffic includes visitors to Google's search engine, its Gmail service, Google News, YouTube, and other sites.
Unique visitors to Google-owned sites by U.S. users in May
Percentage increase in visitors to Google sites over the past year
Percent of Google visitors coming from India, according to CNET
Percent of Google visitors coming from South Africa, according to CNET
Unique visitors to Google sites in early 2006, when comScore first began tracking such data
Unique visitors to Microsoft-owned sites in May, the second-highest total behind Google
Percentage increase in visitors to Microsoft sites over the past year
Unique visitors to Facebook in May
Percentage increase in visitors to Facebook over the past year
Minutes users spent on Facebook in May, up 66.6 percent over the past year. The "battle for Internet revenue" is shifting, says Amir Efrati in The Wall Street Journal, as "marketers are increasingly focused on the amount of time Internet users spend on a site," making the data on unique visitors only "somewhat symbolic."
Minutes users spent on Microsoft sites in May, down 13.6 percent over the past year
Minutes users spent on Google sites in May, up 13 percent over the past year
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Why America needs more billionaires
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week