The video: Archaeologists have been granted a rare glimpse inside an ancient Mayan tomb that hasn't been opened for 1,500 years. The jungle-covered pyramid that contains the tomb, which was discovered in 1999, is too fragile to break into, so in April researchers lowered a two-inch-long, remote-controlled camera 16 feet into it. The video, released last week, reveals a "stunning" funeral chamber for an early ruler of the once-great city-state of Palenque, in southern Mexico. There are offerings still on the floor, and remnants of a funerary shroud made of jade and mother of pearl (Watch some of the video below). The room has blood red walls covered in black drawings. Archaelogists couldn't see a sarcophagus, but they say the bones might be lying directly on the stone floor, which is littered with chunks of crumbling walls. The tomb probably dates to between 431 and 550 A.D., and might contain the remains of K'uk' Bahlam I, the first ruler of the city-state.
The reaction: "This is an important find," Susan Gillespie, associate professor of anthropology at the University of Florida, told the Daily Mail. It sheds new light on early Mayan rulers, says archaeologist Martha Cuevas, as quoted by the Associated Press. Since later rulers often built on top of older pyramids, tombs like these are rarely accessible. Indeed, this discovery will help researchers better understand the Mayan people and the ruler buried within, writes Nick Carbone at TIME. But "hopefully they can do it before the Mayans' prediction of the end of the world in 2012." Check out the tomb for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
Subscribe to the Week