Many conservatives greeted New York's historic push to allow same-sex marriage with a yawn. Some even pushed for its passage. But now, a vocal bloc on the Right is fighting the law, which will take effect in late July. On Tuesday, Brian Brown, the president of the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), unveiled a four-year, three-phase plan to reverse the same-sex marriage law in New York. Could it ever work?
Yes, with time and effort: Here's the plan, says Brian Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage. First, we'll target the four Republican "turncoat senators who made promises to their constituents on marriage and then voted the opposite way." Also, in November 2012, we need to make sure New York "voters remember how they were betrayed on marriage," and "elect pro-marriage majorities" in both the state Senate and Assembly to approve a marriage amendment. By November 2015, we can put a ballot initiative on marriage before New York's voters. It won't be easy, but we can do it.
"Reversing SSM in New York: The campaign begins"
The Right can try... but failure is inevitable: No doubt, NOM will attract plenty of cash for their anti-equality fight, but it won't be enough, says David Badash at The New Civil Rights Movement. "The nascent, 4-â€‹year-old anti-â€‹gay group will need to come up with more than fake polls, lies... and robocalls to turn the tide of public opinion in New York." It's going to get ugly, but ultimately, same-sex marriage is here to stay in New York.
"Can Maggie Gallagher, NOM get the NY Same-Sex marriage law repealed?"
This is just a last, desperate gasp: NOM's plan just isn't realistic, says Kyle JL at An Enduring Vision. The Right won't be able to push New York's state Senate and Assembly into the anti-gay-marriage column. But even if they succeed in getting an amendment on the ballot, New York voters would never pass such a thing. "NOM suffered a brutal defeat in New York, and it's only a matter of time before such defeats become more and more common."
"NOM releases 'Three Phased Strategy' to defeat marriage equality in New York"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why we gossip, according to science
Subscribe to the Week