The video: After two years in front of the chalkboard, Fox News "media sensation" Glenn Beck hosts his final episode of The Glenn Beck Show Thursday evening. Over the years, Beck's penchant for "wild conspiracy theories" made him one of the network's most talked-about personalities. From his persistent warnings about "the perfect storm" to his crystal clear "bottom-up, top-down, and inside-out" theory, the controversy-spinning newsman has provided his share of memorable, quotable moments. Media Matters, a media watchdog that's long trained its gaze on Beck, is marking Beck's exit with a compilation of some of the show's "looniest" moments in a 12-minute highlight reel, titled "Requiem for a Rodeo Clown." Watch the "mesmerizing" video below.
The reaction: This numbing montage of Beck's most famous catchphrases is brilliant, says Margaret Hartmann at Jezebel. "We guarantee it's the funniest, and most terrifying, video you'll see all day." The video really captures just how confusing some of Beck's rants could be, says Instinct Magazine. So please, "don't try to make sense of [it]." And, while the clearly biased clip was put together by Media Matters, an organization of "people who hate him," says Chris Rovzar at New York, it does accurately reflect Beck's "hysterical, paranoid, sometimes funny, always overdramatized style." Check it out:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week