Tom Stuker, a Chicago-based car-sales consultant, has just become the first United Airlines passenger to rack up 10 million frequent flier miles. When he landed at Chicago's O'Hare airport on a United Flight 942 from Los Angeles, he was met by United Continental CEO Jeff Smisek amid such a commotion that several girls rushed up to ask whether Justin Bieber had deplaned. How exactly did Stuker reach this milestone? A quick numerical guide:
Years it took Stuker to reach 10 million miles with United's Mileage Plus program
Miles he averaged each month
Approximate distance Stuker travels each year
Trips Stuker has made with United
Years it took him to reach 5 million miles
Years it took to rack up the next 5 million
Number of "redeemable miles" Stuker has piled up. The extra windfall came from elite bonuses and other perks.
Miles logged by Fred Finn, a wealthy British tourist recognized as the distance champion among travelers on all airlines
Number of round trips to the moon it takes to log 10 million miles
Number of times Stuker could have circled the globe
Round trips Stuker has made to Australia
Round trips he logged to Asia
Trips he made to and from Hawaii
Number of movies in which George Clooney has played a 10-million-miler. Clooney's character in the film Up in the Air won free round-the-world airline tickets, and routinely received personal greetings from ticket agents he had never met.
Sources: ABC News, USA Today, NPR
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week