om Stuker, a Chicago-based car-sales consultant, has just become the first United Airlines passenger to rack up 10 million frequent flier miles. When he landed at Chicago's O'Hare airport on a United Flight 942 from Los Angeles, he was met by United Continental CEO Jeff Smisek amid such a commotion that several girls rushed up to ask whether Justin Bieber had deplaned. How exactly did Stuker reach this milestone? A quick numerical guide:
Years it took Stuker to reach 10 million miles with United's Mileage Plus program
Miles he averaged each month
Approximate distance Stuker travels each year
Trips Stuker has made with United
Years it took him to reach 5 million miles
Years it took to rack up the next 5 million
Number of "redeemable miles" Stuker has piled up. The extra windfall came from elite bonuses and other perks.
Miles logged by Fred Finn, a wealthy British tourist recognized as the distance champion among travelers on all airlines
Number of round trips to the moon it takes to log 10 million miles
Number of times Stuker could have circled the globe
Round trips Stuker has made to Australia
Round trips he logged to Asia
Trips he made to and from Hawaii
Number of movies in which George Clooney has played a 10-million-miler. Clooney's character in the film Up in the Air won free round-the-world airline tickets, and routinely received personal greetings from ticket agents he had never met.
Sources: ABC News, USA Today, NPR
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
Subscribe to the Week