The video: Room on TV for yet another American Idol-style singing competition? Simon Cowell is adamant there is. Fox aired a two-minute preview of his The X Factor during Tuesday night's baseball All-Star Game. (Watch the video below.) Premiering this fall, the adaptation of a British series stars Cowell as a judge in his first American TV gig since leaving Idol in 2010. Joining him on the panel: Another former Idol judge, Paula Abdul, along with record executive L.A. Reid and Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger. The promo kicks off with a "not-so-subtle parody" of the "warm-and-fuzzy" judging that has plagued Idol since the acerbic Cowell decamped, before revealing footage from The X Factor's auditions — showcasing Cowell in abusively honest form. As Cowell quips, "What else did you expect?"
The reaction: "Game on!" says Kyle Buchanan at New York. From swipes at Idol's "half-soulless judging panel" to previews of Cowell's soul-crushing one-liners, the dramatic clip is a successful tease. It doesn't matter that The X Factor trailer barely features the show's contestants. With Cowell, the show "already has its superstar." Not so fast, says Shirley Halperin at The Hollywood Reporter. Reality competitions live or die based on their contestants. "We’ll see how the talent truly shakes out when X Factor premieres this September." See the trailer:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- For the last time: Congress is not exempt from ObamaCare
Subscribe to the Week