The video: Room on TV for yet another American Idol-style singing competition? Simon Cowell is adamant there is. Fox aired a two-minute preview of his The X Factor during Tuesday night's baseball All-Star Game. (Watch the video below.) Premiering this fall, the adaptation of a British series stars Cowell as a judge in his first American TV gig since leaving Idol in 2010. Joining him on the panel: Another former Idol judge, Paula Abdul, along with record executive L.A. Reid and Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger. The promo kicks off with a "not-so-subtle parody" of the "warm-and-fuzzy" judging that has plagued Idol since the acerbic Cowell decamped, before revealing footage from The X Factor's auditions — showcasing Cowell in abusively honest form. As Cowell quips, "What else did you expect?"
The reaction: "Game on!" says Kyle Buchanan at New York. From swipes at Idol's "half-soulless judging panel" to previews of Cowell's soul-crushing one-liners, the dramatic clip is a successful tease. It doesn't matter that The X Factor trailer barely features the show's contestants. With Cowell, the show "already has its superstar." Not so fast, says Shirley Halperin at The Hollywood Reporter. Reality competitions live or die based on their contestants. "We’ll see how the talent truly shakes out when X Factor premieres this September." See the trailer:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week