The video: The Christian counseling center owned by presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) and her husband, Dr. Marcus Bachmann, reportedly uses faith-based therapy to "cure" homosexuality. Perhaps predictably, Jon Stewart is taking aim at the good doctor on The Daily Show. On Wednesday night, Stewart showed video of Dr. Bachmann enthusiastically dancing with his wife, and exclaimed, "That's the guy teaching people not to be gay, seriously." Stewart was then joined by Jerry Seinfeld, who administered "comedy repression therapy" to prevent Stewart from making cheap gay jokes at Bachmann's expense. "He's so gay, he calls Top Gun 'that volleyball movie,'" Stewart said, before Seinfeld slapped him across the face. "No, no, no!" said a finger-wagging Seinfeld. (See the videos below.)
The reaction: I have to wonder "why liberals are so anti-homosexual when it comes to righties they suspect of being gay," says Jason at Story Balloon. C'mon, what do you expect? says Katla McGlynn at The Huffington Post. The Bachmanns are ripe targets, and "it's just too easy to associate the doctor's desire to 'pray the gay away' with jokes about him having a repressed sexuality." Yeah, with the Minnesota congresswoman on the rise, this "was bound to happen," says James Withers at 365Gay. "If Team Bachmann is smart, they will not respond to any of this." Watch the segments on Bachmann:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
Subscribe to the Week