The video: After improbably slipping by the Brazilians in the quarterfinals, then trouncing the French, the U.S. women's soccer team suffered a "heartbreaking" loss in the World Cup final to a weaker-looking Japanese squad on Sunday. The Americans dominated for most of the game, but missed several close shots, and made clumsy defensive errors that allowed Japan to score. After overtime ended in a 2-2 tie, Japan beat the U.S. in penalty shots — its first-ever win against the U.S. (Watch the highlights below.) The Japanese players dedicated their first women's World Cup to their disaster-ravaged nation. "If any other country was to win this, then I'm really happy and proud for Japan," said U.S. midfielder Carli Lloyd.
The reaction: "Given everything that Japan has been through," it's hard to begrudge them their win in this "enthralling" match, says Jeff Carlisle at ESPN. But this is a game "the U.S. will rue for years to come." If only the Americans had been a tiny bit "more clinical in front of the goal," this nail-biter of a final would have been a "rout." Instead, it was both "thrilling and deeply weird," because Team USA dominated by playing like Japan, and Japan won "by out-USAing America," says Brian Phillips at Slate. And while the loss stings, it might be "the best thing that could happen to American women's soccer." There is no way the U.S. squad could "rival the feel-good story of the Japanese," but the team won America's respect and attention just for being a great team, and "kicking ass, as dramatically and unpredictably as possible." Watch the key moments from Sunday's game:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week