The video: A humorous music video encouraging Washington state residents to clean up after their dogs is creating a big stink. "Dog Doogity," a parody of the Blackstreet's mid-90s R&B hit "No Diggity," includes lyrics like, "Hey yo, let's keep this clean" and "I like the way you walk it, dog doogity, we've got to bag it up." In the background of the video by Puget Sound Starts Here, dancers with bare midriffs sassily twirl plastic bags. (See the video below.) The clip was produced for a reported $27,000, which came out of a $500,000 grant from the state Department of Ecology. Perhaps predictably, government watchdogs are barking over the cost.
The reaction: "In this economic climate, it raises a question of priorities," says Jason Mercier, a budget watcher for the conservative think tank Washington Policy Center, as quoted by The Spokesman-Review. "It seems a questionable way of marketing the idea." But this is a serious issue, says Lynne Peeples in The Huffington Post. "Skipping scooping poses a public health hazard." Pet feces can introduce a host of deadly bacteria, viruses, and parasites into waterways, and this video is a "fresh approach to persuade people to pick up after their pets." Look, the state clearly shouldn't be spending this kind of money on "dog-poo videos," says The Stand. "But when corporate-funded right-wing think tanks make a big stink about it, the goal is not to save the state $27,000, it is to stir anger at government," and "perpetuate the lie that the state has plenty of money and can afford to cut its way out of the state revenue crisis." Check it out:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
Subscribe to the Week