The video: A humorous music video encouraging Washington state residents to clean up after their dogs is creating a big stink. "Dog Doogity," a parody of the Blackstreet's mid-90s R&B hit "No Diggity," includes lyrics like, "Hey yo, let's keep this clean" and "I like the way you walk it, dog doogity, we've got to bag it up." In the background of the video by Puget Sound Starts Here, dancers with bare midriffs sassily twirl plastic bags. (See the video below.) The clip was produced for a reported $27,000, which came out of a $500,000 grant from the state Department of Ecology. Perhaps predictably, government watchdogs are barking over the cost.
The reaction: "In this economic climate, it raises a question of priorities," says Jason Mercier, a budget watcher for the conservative think tank Washington Policy Center, as quoted by The Spokesman-Review. "It seems a questionable way of marketing the idea." But this is a serious issue, says Lynne Peeples in The Huffington Post. "Skipping scooping poses a public health hazard." Pet feces can introduce a host of deadly bacteria, viruses, and parasites into waterways, and this video is a "fresh approach to persuade people to pick up after their pets." Look, the state clearly shouldn't be spending this kind of money on "dog-poo videos," says The Stand. "But when corporate-funded right-wing think tanks make a big stink about it, the goal is not to save the state $27,000, it is to stir anger at government," and "perpetuate the lie that the state has plenty of money and can afford to cut its way out of the state revenue crisis." Check it out:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
Subscribe to the Week