The video: Rebecca Black reached pop culture ubiquity in March when the music video for the 14-year-old's song "Friday" became a viral sensation, quickly accruing as many YouTube views as clips by Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber. It was an especially impressive feat considering the general critical consensus was that "Friday" could be considered "the worst song of all time." Sample lyric: "Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday / Today i-is Friday, Friday (partyin')." Now Black is back with a follow-up single. Titled "My Moment," it's a song about empowerment that takes on all the "haters" who derided Black for "Friday." (Watch the video below.) Will it be another hit, or was Black's "moment" up 15 minutes ago?
The reaction: "My Moment" takes "the embrace of the no-publicity-is-bad-publicity philosophy to brave new heights," says Spencer Kornhaber at The Atlantic. Unlike other "punchline internet sensations" like William Hung, Black defends her fame as something she's earned. Unfortunately for Black, says Kelly Lynch at Socialite Life, "My Moment" is "generic and predictable and self-indulgent." Not so fast, says Adrian Chen at Gawker. The song is actually an "inoffensive, mildly catchy rehash of a dozen Justin Bieber songs." In other words, it could be just the track to help Black break into the mainstream and leave "Friday" behind, "once and for all." Check it out:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What these custom, 3D-printed earphones say about the future of consumer technology
- 10 burning questions you've always wanted to ask about investing
Subscribe to the Week