elcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: A billionaire sheik in Abu Dhabi recently paid workmen to carve his name — Hamad — into 3,200-foot long letters in the sand that are now visible from space. We asked you for a telling word or phrase that should be carved in giant letters into the terrain of the U.S.
THE WINNER: Out of Order
Gerry Harvey, Sebastopol, CA
SECOND PLACE: Got Oil?
Courtney Prescott, Astoria, NY
THIRD PLACE: Winning!
Stephanie Cook, Clovis, CA
Lost Our Lease!
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville, TN
Rob James, San Francisco, CA
Privet Kosmonavtam. Ne zhdite nas. ("Hey, cosmonauts. Don't wait up.")
Bob Braddock, Arlington, VA
Gale Davis, Pasadena, CA
For sale - foreclosure
Leroy Hawthorne, Sanger, TX
Are you hiring?
Mary Jo Bohr, Chicago, IL
Make Educacion #1
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
Your Ad Here
John Barry, Waltham, MA
If You Can Read This, You’re Light Years Too Close
Miles Klein, Frisco, TX
Dear Aliens - Politicians are delicious
Mike Paul, Carrboro, NC
Parking Lot Full
Jack Bulavsky, Henderson, NV
We’re Sorry, Pluto!
Alan Parven, Commerce Twp, MI
Todd S. Hyatt, North Grafton, MA
Fat & Broke but Still Proud!
Mark Weaver, Redondo Beach, CA
Charles Hotchkiss, Union, KY
For Sale: $14 Trillion OBO
Angela James, Westminster, MD
Any Other Nations Hiring Astronauts?
Rob Thrift, Austin, TX
æ‚¨å¥½ ("Hello" in Chinese)
Christine Dean, Los Angeles, CA
Richard G. Marcil, Macomb, MI
Don’t Tread on Me
Mark Richards, San Juan Capistrano, CA
God Bless America – Please!
Joan A. Hunt, Greensboro, NC
Garage Sale, Sat.
Don Curry, Petaluma, CA
Going Out of Business Sale
Lorene Lambert, Spokane, WA 99203
Pardon Our Mess
Tim Lanter, Alexandria, KY
Shannon Smith, Medford, OR
Your ego here
Iris Eichenlaub, Washington, ME
Your Tax Dollars at Work
Heather Watson, Barrington, NH
Will Work for Hamad
Melinda B. Eskow-Calis, Hollywood, FL
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
Subscribe to the Week