Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: A billionaire sheik in Abu Dhabi recently paid workmen to carve his name — Hamad — into 3,200-foot long letters in the sand that are now visible from space. We asked you for a telling word or phrase that should be carved in giant letters into the terrain of the U.S.
THE WINNER: Out of Order
Gerry Harvey, Sebastopol, CA
SECOND PLACE: Got Oil?
Courtney Prescott, Astoria, NY
THIRD PLACE: Winning!
Stephanie Cook, Clovis, CA
Lost Our Lease!
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville, TN
Rob James, San Francisco, CA
Privet Kosmonavtam. Ne zhdite nas. ("Hey, cosmonauts. Don't wait up.")
Bob Braddock, Arlington, VA
Gale Davis, Pasadena, CA
For sale - foreclosure
Leroy Hawthorne, Sanger, TX
Are you hiring?
Mary Jo Bohr, Chicago, IL
Make Educacion #1
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
Your Ad Here
John Barry, Waltham, MA
If You Can Read This, You’re Light Years Too Close
Miles Klein, Frisco, TX
Dear Aliens - Politicians are delicious
Mike Paul, Carrboro, NC
Parking Lot Full
Jack Bulavsky, Henderson, NV
We’re Sorry, Pluto!
Alan Parven, Commerce Twp, MI
Todd S. Hyatt, North Grafton, MA
Fat & Broke but Still Proud!
Mark Weaver, Redondo Beach, CA
Charles Hotchkiss, Union, KY
For Sale: $14 Trillion OBO
Angela James, Westminster, MD
Any Other Nations Hiring Astronauts?
Rob Thrift, Austin, TX
æ‚¨å¥½ ("Hello" in Chinese)
Christine Dean, Los Angeles, CA
Richard G. Marcil, Macomb, MI
Don’t Tread on Me
Mark Richards, San Juan Capistrano, CA
God Bless America – Please!
Joan A. Hunt, Greensboro, NC
Garage Sale, Sat.
Don Curry, Petaluma, CA
Going Out of Business Sale
Lorene Lambert, Spokane, WA 99203
Pardon Our Mess
Tim Lanter, Alexandria, KY
Shannon Smith, Medford, OR
Your ego here
Iris Eichenlaub, Washington, ME
Your Tax Dollars at Work
Heather Watson, Barrington, NH
Will Work for Hamad
Melinda B. Eskow-Calis, Hollywood, FL
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
Subscribe to the Week