eople may start redefining date night as "dinner and... a long, mildly diverting walk." According to the National Association of Theater Owners, the average price of a movie ticket has hit a record high, climbing to $8.06 in the U.S. But, compared to moviegoers in other countries, Americans actually have it lucky. Here's a breakdown of the escalating cost of movie tickets, by the numbers:
Current average price for a movie ticket in the U.S., a record
Average U.S. ticket price in 2010
Cost of a movie ticket in Tokyo, Japan, according to Businessweek
Cost of a movie ticket in Zurich, Switzerland
Average movie ticket price in New York, according to CNBC
Ticket price for an IMAX 3D screening of Shrek Ever After at AMC Empire theater in Times Square, New York in 2010, then a record, says Steve Weintraub at Collider
Average U.S. ticket price 10 years ago, according to Box Office Mojo
Average U.S. ticket price 25 years ago
Average U.S. ticket price 50 years ago
Average U.S. ticket price 75 years ago
Cost today, when adjusted for inflation, of a ticket purchased at the average price of $1.65 in 1971, according to The New York Times. That's more than a dollar higher than today's record average.
Number of consecutive years the cost of a movie ticket has increased
2010 domestic box office total, down from $10.6 billion in 2009, according to Hollywood.com
2011 domestic box office total to date, down 5.55 percent from this time last year, according to The New York Times
Percent downturn in movie attendance in 2010 compared to 2009
Typical surcharge added on to the price of a 3D movie ticket
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
Subscribe to the Week