The video: Love hurts. That seems to be the message of Like Crazy, the romantic drama — and "love story of the year" contender — that debuted its first trailer Monday. (Watch the video below.) Young actors Anton Yelchin and Felicity Jones play college students madly in love with each other, only to be separated when she violates the terms of her visa. Like Crazy — which won the Grand Jury Prize and Best Actress, for Jones, at this year's Sundance Film Festival in January — follows their struggle to keep the relationship together with an ocean between them. The trailer for the film, which will be released Oct. 28, and is expected to be an awards contender, features a montage of the couple's most emotional moments to Ingrid Michaelson's aching cover of "Fools Rush In."
The reaction: When Like Crazy premiered at Sundance, says Katey Rich at Cinema Blend, it received "the kind of glowing, sighing reviews" that are so rare "among skeptical festival crowds." Now the rest of the world gets a glimpse at "what everyone else has been swooning about." Indeed, says Anthony Breznican at Entertainment Weekly. This clip is "so real, so subtle, and so heartfelt" that watching feels "voyeuristic." This could be Love Story for a new generation, says Richard Lawson at Gawker. "I'm already crying." Grab a hankie, and see for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why TheWeek.com is closing the comments section
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week