Snooki, The Situation, and JWOWW — along with the rest of the smush-crazy gang from Jersey Shore — will appear in the upcoming Farrelly brothers' Three Stooges film, a recreation of some of the trio's classic skits. And no, the Jersey Shore crew will not be playing Larry, Mo, and Curly. (That honor belongs to Sean Hayes, Chris Diamantopoulos, and Will Sasso.) The alcohol-inhaling guidos and guidettes will round out a supporting cast of award-winning actors Larry David, Jane Lynch, Sofia Vergara, and Jennifer Hudson. Predictably, commentators are poking fun at Snooki and gang's film aspirations. Here, a sampling of wisecracks:
Box office draw
The genius casting continues, says John Sellers at The Wrap. "As if the idea of Larry David playing Sister Mary-Mengele wasn't enough" to win over prospective audiences, now the cast of Jersey Shore will play drunken buffoons. That's must-see cinema.
The cast is making the media rounds bragging about how well they did in their cameos, says Sean O'Neal at The A.V. Club, when, really, "they portrayed drunken louts and the guy who made Dumb and Dumber said it was adequate." That's "the kind of fawning encouragement normally reserved for the parents of kids who just placed third in the school talent show."
Sammi, sometimes tumultuously coupled with the famously rageful Ronnie, is particularly vocal about pursuing an acting career, says Willa Paskin at New York. "She should hit up Lifetime." The next time the channel's movie of the week features a a victim of spousal abuse, "they can have Sammi sit in as a support group extra."
"If ever there was a sign of the impending apocalypse that desperately needs to be taken seriously," says Philip Brown at The Morton Report, "it's come today." The thought of the Jersey Shore cast members having a second career as actors? "Screw the international financial collapse or the massive country-crippling earthquakes." This is truly the "sign that the world is coming to a close."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
Subscribe to the Week