nooki, The Situation, and JWOWW — along with the rest of the smush-crazy gang from Jersey Shore — will appear in the upcoming Farrelly brothers' Three Stooges film, a recreation of some of the trio's classic skits. And no, the Jersey Shore crew will not be playing Larry, Mo, and Curly. (That honor belongs to Sean Hayes, Chris Diamantopoulos, and Will Sasso.) The alcohol-inhaling guidos and guidettes will round out a supporting cast of award-winning actors Larry David, Jane Lynch, Sofia Vergara, and Jennifer Hudson. Predictably, commentators are poking fun at Snooki and gang's film aspirations. Here, a sampling of wisecracks:
Box office draw
The genius casting continues, says John Sellers at The Wrap. "As if the idea of Larry David playing Sister Mary-Mengele wasn't enough" to win over prospective audiences, now the cast of Jersey Shore will play drunken buffoons. That's must-see cinema.
The cast is making the media rounds bragging about how well they did in their cameos, says Sean O'Neal at The A.V. Club, when, really, "they portrayed drunken louts and the guy who made Dumb and Dumber said it was adequate." That's "the kind of fawning encouragement normally reserved for the parents of kids who just placed third in the school talent show."
Sammi, sometimes tumultuously coupled with the famously rageful Ronnie, is particularly vocal about pursuing an acting career, says Willa Paskin at New York. "She should hit up Lifetime." The next time the channel's movie of the week features a a victim of spousal abuse, "they can have Sammi sit in as a support group extra."
"If ever there was a sign of the impending apocalypse that desperately needs to be taken seriously," says Philip Brown at The Morton Report, "it's come today." The thought of the Jersey Shore cast members having a second career as actors? "Screw the international financial collapse or the massive country-crippling earthquakes." This is truly the "sign that the world is coming to a close."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
Subscribe to the Week